Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Technology Fail

Wednesday.

It rained a lot last night. A lot.

Well, the morning started off with smoke filling the kitchen. Minor stove fire. I guess nobody was listening at fire safety Sunday. Maria was making Pepo some rice for breakfast, and I think she forgot what she was doing, because she walked away and next thing we knew, it was on fire. So one of the girls did something to stop it, and Maria came in the kitchen and said "oooooooh I am soooo bad at cooking in the morning" (say that with a Spanish accent). I don't know if Peop ended up eating breakfast today.

This morning I went into work a little late today, because I had to go to the hotel to send our trend presentation. They have a faster connection, so I figures it would cause less stress if I went over there. Lucky for me, the internet was fast and the file sent in record time.....I need to be in and out over there so that my husband can't hunt me down.

As I was getting ready to leave, it started raining really really hard, and Maria (the office manager) was at the hotel as well, so we decided to wait a few minutes until it stopped. Then we called a taxi, and had door to door drop service. We treat rain days like snow days, you just don't want to leave house.

When we got to the office we went to a workshop that was being put on for the women about financial independence. Even though it was half in Fante, I feel like I learned a lot. At these workshops there is always some kind of ice breaker (very Laura Jay) and today the question was..."If you had all the money in the world, what would you do?" Some women said they would open an orphanage, some would open more businesses, some would travel, some would pay their workers more. I decided that (one of) mine would be to find the worlds BEST cup of coffee! Now it is your turn to tell me what you would do. (Laura you better do this).

The meeting went on for what seemed like days, but when they brought in a cooler of FanIce, I knew that I would survive until the end. After the meeting, the design team got together with some of the fair trade workers and talked about going on site visits, to see the women working. We were able to schedule a few during the meeting today, but with the way things work around here, we will still need to call the day we plan to go just to be sure.

When we went back to the design room.....aka the storage room, I had an email from the US office about the presentation, and they were so impressed with it. That means we are off to a good start! I think that we have a really good design team, and for the most part we all have very similar ideas. I think there will be some good products coming out!

There was such a cute little kid at work today. He was just sitting on the bench, behaving so well. We played for a few minutes, but I still do not know who he belongs to. Hopefully he will be back again. I think I need to find some little kids to hang out with.

The rest of the afternoon flew past, and then it was time to go. The weather had been pretty bad all day, and when we were walking to get a taxi home, it looked really creepy outside. The sky was so dark, and the ocean was a really strange combination of blues, and the goats were running around like nuts. Strange feeling, but we made it home without anything odd happening.

Once I got home I was completely exhausted. This gloomy weather is so annoying.

My roommate is feeling much better, but she is not fully recovered from the mystery illness yet. And now another girl is sick. I'm telling you...these interns are dropping like flies.
Oh, random fact. Today I found out that Ellen has TWO kids! That's all I know, but I will find out more. I think I should meet them.

Peace. Love. Answer my Question.

5 comments:

  1. sounds like that was one eventful day! From fires to random kids at work to crazy weather, I think you just about covered it. :)

    If I had a million dollars I would donate 10% to Young Life, buy myself a Cadillac and give the rest to Em and Aud to start their bakery in Detroit. Oh, and probably join you in route to finding the world's best cup of coffee!

    love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The road side sausage still makes me laugh everytime you write about it! I suppose if I had all the money in the world, besides making sure everyone in my family had a home, I would be happy knowing that I would never have to clean my bathroom again cuz I could hire someone to do it!!!

    peace. lovve. dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your pictures of the beach. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun and crazy adventures. If I had all the money in the world I would travel all over the place:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello love bug! You know I read, just takes a minute :o)

    So, if I had a million dollars (Bare Naked Ladies, eh?) haha.. I would have a large gathering with all my friends and family.. rent a tent, catering, etc.. and have everyone come and hang for the entire weekend, all expenses paid! Also, I would put some away for my new place so I could buy some fab furniture... I would donate some to the Alternative Breaks program here at CMU, and maybe start a scholarship fund of some sort... Hopefully I would save some, but you know me.. not the best at that..
    MIsss you SO MUCHxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,

    Poor Pepo and his hungry tummy!! Just share your sausages with him :)

    I think if I had all the money in the world I would travel. I love history and have wanted to go to Ireland forever. I would make sure my family was taken care of. Other then that I would just be myself :)


    Peace. Love. Fire Safety

    ReplyDelete