Sunday, June 6, 2010

SUN-day

Finally! A day with no rain.

I think my roommate has malaria. We always joke that she has it, but now its not funny because she is really sick. If she does not feel better in the morning we will have to go to the doctors office. I'm pretty sure if we go there she will be sent home with malaria meds even if it is not what she has.

When I woke up this morning I was super excited because it was already hot outside and the sky was blue. I knew that we would finally make it to the beach. We called Peter, our beach taxi driver, and at 9:00 the first group of us set off for the beach...you were all still in bed sleeping!

I made my oatmeal, and a cup of coffee for a Sunday morning treat. Again, I have an oatmeal comment...are you shocked that I am STILL talking about this? Ok, the new girl brought some Jiff to share, so as a treat I used some of that in my oatmeal this morning. It was not as good as when I use the natural ground nut butter...so you have been warned. And while I am talking about food, the rock cakes I eat do not have anything in them, I'm guessing to keep the cost down, but I'm sure they would be great with something extra!

It was such a perfect day to go to the beach. It was hot and sunny, and there was a perfect ocean breeze to cool us down. We grabbed some beach chairs and set up our spots, then of course we went right in to "swim". The waves were a little bigger than the last time, and I think that at some point during the day, each of us had a wave kick our butt and give us a face full of sand....yet we continued to go back for more. In between waves I started a new book and enjoyed some sun. And yes mom, I had my sun lotion on....I think I used an entire can of SPF 50!

A few of us decided to get lunch at the beach, and I had french toast. After all, it was my sunday brunch :-). It was nothing like french toast in the states...say from, ohhhh I don't know....Steves, but it was delicious in its own unique way. It was more savory than sweet, as it was served with tomatoes and onions on top. It definitely hit the spot...but I could have used some extra crispy bacon on the side.

After lunch, we repeated the events from the morning, and I bought my first coconut. I was not all that impressed. Truthfully, I was wishing it would taste like a pina colda..obviously it did not. I guess I will try one again someday, because I feel like it is something I might like. I just need to be in the right mind set...or something.

Today I also found my first snake. He was bright green and slithering along the trees. While we were eating our brunch I looked over at the entire staff running over to a tree, each holding a stick in their hands. Then, I wish that I would have taken a video of what came next. All of the people started to smack the branches of one of the coconut trees, and as soon as they would smack it, they would jump back right away before taking another swing at it. This continues for about 5 minutes, so I assumed that the snake was in the tree. Sure enough, he fell out, most of the people scattered, and one beat the poor snake to death. For all that effort, I hope he was poisonous. Bye bye snake.

Later in the day we went for a walk further down the beach, and we watched some huge waves. Well, I don't actually know anything about waves, but these were too big to swim in. We were walking up on the shore, a good distance from the water, and there was two different times that the waves broke so far up on the shore, that people were knocked over and pulled across the beach. I'm telling you, these waves were serious. I do not understand how those little fishing boats make it past them.

I ran into the man who sold me the drum, he said if I bring it down we can jam some more. Then we did a fist bump, and he said "one love" It was a very black eyed peas Pepsi commercial moment.

When I came back from the beach, I decided it would be a good time to shower, seeing that there was sand packed into every part of my body. I really should have taken a photo of the shower when I got out. Let me just say, that before today I did not realize that the tile in our shower had a brick pattern to it. However, due to the amount of dirt that came off my body, I could see the pattern crystal clear. Ew

Tomorrow its back to work, and we are getting 4 new design interns....it will be interesting.

Ok, I had a lot to say for a day that was so lazy

Peace. Love. Snakes in a tree.

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for SPF 50!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad you had such a great day! Our weather hasnt been good either, lots and lots of rain, today was Johns b-day party, and it rained! John didnt care. He loved the leaf blower I got him, as much as the vacume at christmas! Fun! It is amazing that little boats make it through the waves, one time the waves kept knocking me down and i couldnt get up cuz another one would come and knock me down again! So I gave up and sat there as Liz and B laughed at me! Wasnt it hard to get the coconut open? I tried that once, and did not accomplish it. have a good work week.

    peace. love. fist-bump.

    ReplyDelete