Thursday, June 10, 2010

Take a Bite

Thursday.

I have been eaten alive. Bug bite madness.

What's the deal....I post a question and only one person responds! My readers have disappointed me.

The ground around our house was a little water logged today, so we had to walk a different way to get a taxi. I should have known it was going to be an interesting ride when the driver could hardly answer if he would take us a Cape Coast for 80 peswas. But 7 of us piled into the car (yes a car, not a tro) and we were on our way. Sometimes I close my eyes because the wind is blowing my hair all over the place (or maybe out of fear for my life) and the driver must have known that was why my eyes were shut, so he put the back windows up. However, the one window was off of its track and made a horrible sound. Then he had the radio on. Normally, this would be an added bonus on a taxi ride, however, today I wanted to cut my ears off! Think of when a cd skips, and add some choppy talking on top of that, and then play it threw blown out speakers. That was the noise I heard for 20 long minutes this morning. Plus, the drivers phone was ringing an obnoxious sound. Can you tell that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? The driver also took a "short cut" this morning, but he went the wrong way, so it actually wasn't short at all. Gaaah!

When we got to work we all had different projects to work on, and as part of my job, I jump around between a little of everything. Today I worked with one of the girls on the layout of the 2011 catalog. We had a lot of good ideas, and everything was flowing...and then there was an issue with a batch of dresses. This dress has been haunting me from the moment I touched ground in Ghana. The we fixed the main issue with how the dress was fitting, but now there were issues with how the dress was being sewn. An entire batch came in, and none of them passed the quality control inspection. Lots of stressing out later, I had to make a trip to go visit the dressmaker, to show her the issues. It was an uncomfortable experience, because why should she listen to me, she can sew 10 times faster than I can, while using a hand crank sewing machine. (Its a beauty). So, I explained to her the issues, and told her that she needed to be sewing with a much smaller and sharper needle. She told me that they didn't make them, and I had to tell her that they did make them. Then we had to talk about her sewing lines, and how they needed to be straight and smooth. The final issue was that she was not using a seam ripper to remove a mistake. Her solution was to just RIP it out, pulling each sid of the fabric. This explained so much.

We told her that she could not remove stitches that way, and that she needed to take her time. She told me that she was very sad, but I told her we just wanted her to fix it before it was too late, and her dresses were rejected. Then we took one of her workers to the market to buy seam rippers. We were walking along, and then suddenly I was back in the market, surrounded by the smell of hot (uncooked) meat! Gaaaaaaaah! I picked up the speed during that section. I was glad we went into the market though because I found some fabric vendors tucked in the way back. Now I just need to figure out how to get back to that section without passing the dead animals.

Speaking of animals, poor Pepo is sick. He has been so sad lately, and today he stayed under the bed all day. Maria is trying to give him some meds right now. Poor puppy.

Back to work! After the site visit I went all the way back to work only to find that everyone was on lunch. However, I lucked out because one of the women who makes hoodies was there, so I placed an order for a wild orange one. I should have it next week! I had to run a few errands on my lunch, so I had to walk back to the market to find some food. At one of the stores a women asked what was around my ankle, and I said a bracelet, and she could not understand why I would want to tie scrap fabric around my leg. Then, after looking at it some more, she said are you working for Global Mamas? I was like yes, how did you know? She said she could tell by the print of the fabric. The rest of the afternoon I went back to work on the catalog.

When I got back to the house I went over to the resort to workout because I was in serious need of some alone, and de-stress time. After I worked out, I decided that I would put the extra effort in and take a shower. I have not washed my hair in 5 days......let me tell you..I feel CLEAN! :-)

Tomorrow I think we are going to take a half day and take a trip to the beach for the weekend. Pepo will be turning 1, so to celebrate we are all going away to Busua Beach. Google it. Then pray for Pepo to feel better, and sunshine this weekend.

Peace. Love. My hair smells like coconut.

4 comments:

  1. poor pepo, and your friend! So
    I was wondering, did you tell the husband dude that your name is Wendy?! I hope the weather gets better for your weekend again!

    peace.love. weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the hair? That's just wrong! Five days!

    Peace Love. Clean Hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Pepo!

    P.S. i'm assuming you have access to a ruler or tape measure at work. We should do another hair measurment. Mine is getting SO long, and I know your is longer. And we still have over three months to let it grow! EEEeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIVE DAYS!!!
    eeeewww!
    must have been putting it up in a bun everyday?
    bobbie ; - )

    ReplyDelete