Thursday, June 3, 2010

Meat pies and FanYo

Thursday.

I am giving up on trying to swim in the mornings. I went to the pool at 6 today, and once again it was closed. RUDE!!!

Well as luck would have it, I walked out to get a taxi this morning and ended up with the baby in my lap. I just wanted to take the little babe home. She can't be much older than 1 year, and she wears the sweetest little green and white striped uniform with white ruffle socks and shiny black shoes. So, I got into the taxi and sat the little one right in my lap. She just snuggled in and fell right asleep. So so sweet.

When we got to the office we went right to work in the design room, working on sketches for new stamps and designs. I ate my rock cake, and sketched for most of the morning. Until we spotted a huge snail, and watched him slide across the ground. Then we went up to a fair trade meeting, but had to leave early for an appointment we made with Auntie Gina.

When we were at her house she told us that she worked at a school, and someone said oh can we come! Little did we know that we would actually be going one day. We took a taxi out to the school where she is the assistant headmaster. On the way we got pulled over by the police and the driver had to get out. Then the police came to my window and asked my why the car was so congested. I did not understand, so I was like huh? Then he said, why are there so many of you in this car? So, I looked him in the eye and said...Uhhh the driver said he would take all of us. Then the cop smiled and said, yes, that is what I thought. So I wonder what the driver gave him as an excuse.

But back to the school.... It was a rather awkward experience, because for part of the time we just had to sit in the headmasters office. I felt like we were getting in trouble. We did go on a tour of the school, and when we got to the library, my hear just broke. It was such a small room with maybe 50 books in it. The reference section literally has 5 books in it. After our tour we had to go back to the headmasters office. We were sitting there, and then they brought in some black plastic bags for us. Side note...in Ghana, there are black plastic bags that most food is placed in. However, whenever I see these bags I instantly think of dog poop bags. So, whenever I see a black bag with food in it I laugh. Today inside our bags were two meat pies and a FanYo. Meat pies are meat and veggies inside a pastry shell. FanYo is strawberry frozen yogurt. I have been a little nervous to try both of these, but today I knew I had to eat them because it is very rude to decline food that is offered to you.

Let me tell you....I am now in love with the meat pies. Mmm mmm mmm. Also I had another sausage. You should be so proud of me for trying these new foods and not wanting to vom. So now I can get my meat and yogurt fill.

We had to take a taxi home from Aunti Ginas, and once again about 10 taxis pulled over to pick up the Obrunis on the side of the road. Thankfully one agreed to take us, and thankfully we drove on the correct side of the road this time.

My batik ended up turning out ok, it was not the colors I had hoped for, but it is still pretty cute.

Now a short Q and A:
1: Pepo is from Spain, and that is how he is such a pure breed of dog.

2: Katie I am getting your comments and I am Loving them! For some reason I just can not comment from my bb.

3: The taxis that I take are small cars, three in back and one in front....or more. TroTros are big vans that hold at least 15 people. Google trotro Ghana and I think a good article comes up.

Peace. Love. Meat Pie.

3 comments:

  1. Girl, you have a sausage addiction!!!!!!

    Oh well...I am glad you are venturing out and trying new things and being pleasantly surprised that they are good!!

    Also, I can just picture that cute little girl sitting with you. How fun?!

    peace. love. little babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the once vegetarian
    goes to africa
    and falls in love
    with meat pies
    and street sausage


    mom gave me your number. i tried calling this evening (your time) but it said you phone was off.

    peace.love.flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled Rock Cakes and found several recipes. Our COS cookbook committee is looking for some unusual and/or ethnic recipes, so should we put a rock cake recipe in under your name? Or a pseudonym? Perhaps I'll also look for a meat pie recipe in your honor!

    ReplyDelete