Sunday, August 15, 2010

Your official weekend update

Saturday.

I woke up at 3:00 in the morning and could not fall asleep, so I read a few chapters and then was finally able to go back to sleep. Luckily, it was Saturday morning and I slept a little past 8:00....which has sadly become "sleeping in."

I was excited to eat breakfast because I bought tea bread and jam on Friday. It took everything in me not to eat it at 3:00 in the morning, so as soon as I woke up I made coffee and cut a big slice of bread. The tea bread is a little sweet, so the combination of bread and jam makes my brain almost think that I am getting some kind of pastry. Here I think of it as a treat....and home I would think..bread and jelly? Big woop!

After breakfast I read for a few hours because the sun was not out, and it was actually a bit on the cool side. When I finished the book I had started at 3:00 am I decided I needed to get out of the house. Heather and I went "shopping" to all of the little shops along our street. Back in may I had noticed an old snake skin purse at one of the shops, and at the time I asked it was 20 cedi. I didn't want to spend it at the time, but I have been thinking of it ever since. When I went back yesterday it was still there, but I opened it up to find the lining was torn. I asked if she could fix it, and she said she could only rip it out. I really wanted the bag, so I asked how much it would be, hoping to get a discount for torn lining, and she said I could have it for 5 cedi! It was such a good deal that I bought the snake one and a smooth leather bag. These bags are funny to me, because they look more Native American than African.

Eventually we made our way down to One stone and hung out for a while. Judy was busy making jewelry, and at one point grabbed my ankle and attached a bracelet to it. Then ahe bought us peanuts. Have you ever had boiled peanuts? They are pretty good, but the shell is much harder to get off. They laughed at me for not knowing how, and had to show me multiple times.

Most of the time Judy brings her kids down to the shop during the day, and the oldest, Marcus is a little ball of energy. Everyone that drives past knows little Marcus, and he loves the attention. I asked him if he brought any books or games with him, and he has two animal books with him, so we spent the afternoon reading the animal books while I tried to make the correct animal noise.

I went back to the house in the afternoon to read a little more and shower before dinner. We went down to Elis and she must have just gotten a dvd player because she put her tv on the front counter for us to watch something...eddy murphy in coming to America. They loved the movie.

After dinner, Heather and I came back and watched a movie on my computer. Then some serious drama went down with a "volunteer" who is staying in the house for two weeks. I will save that story too tell in real life.

Peace. Love. Eddy Murphy.

2 comments:

  1. thats cool that you got some kid time in.

    peace.love.skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What types of animals were in his book?
    Here is is cow, pig, sheep, chicken.
    Is it lion, zebra, elephant, and giraffe?
    by the way what does a giraffe say ; - )

    peace. love. reading to children

    ReplyDelete