Monday, August 9, 2010

Week 13

Today is 08.09.10.

My weekend in Axim was not all that I had hoped for. To start off we had a last minute add on to the group, meaning the tiny car was going to be jammed packed. Its one thing to drive for ten minutes or so, but not for two to three hours. Despite our saying how packed the car was going to be, this person couldn't take a hint. Lots of annoying conversations later, one of the girls said that she wouldn't go. Stupid, so one of the other girls and I said we would take a trotro there, so that everyone could go. So princess and tag along got to ride in the car. How does that work out?

Lucky for us all, the trotro was easy and we actually got there before the others. On the first tro I sat in between a business man and a rasta. Just think of what a funny picture that would have been. The rasts and I had bonding time while we sang Bob Marley, but every time he would turn his head I would get smacked in the face with his dreads. I was just grateful that it was the ends of his dreads and not the part with the shells stuck to it.

When we were getting close to the stop he asked where I was going and I turned to him and honestly said, "I have no idea.". Because I really had no idea how to get to Axim. I just head in the general direction, and someone usually helps me out. I then told him that eventually I wanted to go to Axim, so he told me to get out and catch another tro. Two other guys also got out, wearing their matching red polos and aviator shades, and they just kept pointing us along the way, until we found a tro to Axim. For this tro we had to just be on the lookout for signs and jump out before it got to its designated stop.

When we got to the hotel, they had no reservation for us. Of course. So they put a mattress in one room (guess who got to sleep on that!) And put two people in single rooms. The next day Maria and I were upgraded to a big room with a porch, two big beds, and an attached bathroom for the same price. We were happy, but the others became a bit jealous and wanted to use our hot shower. Seriously people, annoying. Nothing is ever good enough. I take a tro, sleep on the floor and now you want my hot water! Let me have something!! The weather over the weekend was pretty crappy. It was cold and there were a few storms, but I did a little reading and coffee drinking.

Overall I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more if I had a tan.

Today...
The cops in Ghana are a joke. We got stopped this morning, pretty much because we were a car of white girls and he just wanted to chat with us, and ask us if we were married. Maria told him that we were all married because we are old and need to reproduce. Surprisingly he accepted this answer and let us on our way. We didn't even have to slip him a cedi.

Work was....well a typical Monday I guess. Originally I had planned on going to a village to work with some of the women, to create a dog leash from scrap fabric. However, by the time we found leash clips at the market, and the other girl got to the office it was too late to go. Not to mention that she did not have the prototype finished, and I knew that was just going to cause frustrations for everyone involved. I decided to make the executive decision and say that we are going to the village tomorrow. Hopefully things will run smoothly.

I worked on spec packets for all of the products today, sent out samples, got samples back, took photos of samples, looked at possible color combinations, folded small jackets, and dealt with an annoying batik situation. Like I said, it was a typical Monday. I am so tired right now that I don't even want dinner. I just want to sleep.

Peace. Love. Monday.

2 comments:

  1. peace.love.unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess and the tag-along. it sounds like characters from Mario. :) At least you can maintain your humor through the whole situation!

    love!

    P.S. And don't worry. You'll get something... you're reward is in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete