Thursday, July 1, 2010

National holidays are my friend

Happy July everybody!

I can not believe that it is already July! Time is going by so fast and the other interns are leaving this month! Ahhhh so much to do, so little time!

We had a day off from work today because it is a national holiday. My original plan was to sleep in this morning...however that did not happen and I ended up waking up around 6. A few other people were up, so we decided to go for a walk to downtown Elmina. I am ashamed to say that was the first time that I have actually gone to explore the city I live in. I live on the outer part of town and it is fairly quite, with the exception of the music that comes on in the evening from our neighbors.

The heart of Elmina is packed full of people selling things, or fishing, or trying to force you to buy a stupid shell with your name on it. It is a completely different feeling than we have at the house. By the time we got to the main area we were all pretty hungry and we decided to stop and have breakfast at a really cute spot near where all the boats park. It was an old brick building with an outdoor seating area. I had a wonderful omelet with toast. Delicious as always.

We were going to spend some more time exploring the area, but then we thought it would be better to go to the beach. So we headed back in the direction of the house. Along the way we ran into Ras-T and taxi Sam, both excited to see us out and about. It is funny walking with Pepo because everyone wants to know his name, and they either just stare us down as we walk past or they freeze with a total look of fear in their eyes.

When we got back to the house we were informed that there was no water. I knew this could happen, but I just kept wishing that it wouldn't. However, I was off to the beach, so I didn't put too much thought into it. Peter came to pick us up, and we went to the beach that is just a short drive away.

When we got to the beach it was a bit cloudy and cold. That wasn't going to stop us though, so we found our spot and I took a nice little nap. When I woke up I went on a hunt for treasures...aka really cool shells and beach glass. I might sound like a small child, but I was so excited to finally find some beach glass.

Also, there were some sheep..or goats..or something that were a bit close to us at the beach. We turned around and they just kept getting closer and closer until finally we were all having a stare down. Then Pepo decided to break it up.

Because it was a lazy day we decided that we would also treat ourselves to lunch. I mean it was a national holiday, so we needed to celebrate somehow. We all decided that we would order a burger, but the waiter came back and told us that they had no beef to use. Well....the next obvious choice for us was to get lobster. Let me tell you....it was the right choice! One of the most delicious meals ever. I know you must think that I say that about everything, but the food is so good!

So, to sum up the day I would have to say...eat,sleep,eat,sleep

Back to work tomorrow

Peace. Love. July.

3 comments:

  1. Just curious why so many people seem surprised or scared of Pepo? He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great day, my favorite things, eating and napping! Seems they have a lot of holidays there. Nice. How many of the interns that are leaving live in your house? Will new ones arrive? Have a nice weekend! Its gonna be hot here, we are gonna hit 90, I think thats the first time this summer, thats ok, cuz 90 is too hot!

    peace. love. lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask the same question as Lyndsey (above). Is having dogs as pets not normal down there? Or is her just an intimidating pup? Anyway, I love him. Even though I've never met him. :)

    What was the cause for this national Ghanian holiday?

    ReplyDelete