Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy Bastille Day!

Wednesday.
If I was in France, I would be watching fireworks under the Eiffel tower. BUT....this is Ghana. I am sitting outside, but its cold and cloudy.

I lucked out this morning and I got to ride into the office with Maria. It is just so much more of a relaxing start to the day when you don't have the hassle of the taxi.

The internet has been so bad at work all week, and only half the power has been working....it makes for very frustrating times. Even though I know that work takes 10 times longer here, it is still sometimes a major frustration to me. I had some serious spreadsheet work to do, and it took me most of the morning to get it finished.

Then, Maria and I lost our minds. I was in the main office talking about something, and one of the women came in to give us her samples for the design contest. Each of her entry sets included a hat. Obviously, we felt the need to put these on our heads and started cracking up. Patience decided that it would be a good idea to document this moment, and I believe it will end up on facebook. After seeing that photo people are going to be submitting applications like crazy.....we are a fun office

A few minutes later we really lost our minds, and we decided that we were going to try to make quality control laugh. We tucked our lips up (like a who) and then we tucked our bottom lips in...so we had no lips. Now, this was a very difficult face to keep, because our teeth were slippery. So, we walked into the quality control room and they just looked at us. No reaction at all. So while Maria and I are basically wetting our pants, they are all just looking at us completely confused. Finally, we got one to crack, and then the others joined in. We showed them how to do the no lip face, and in return they showed us how to do a monkey face. One of the guys looked at me, and very seriously said, Sarah...what is the point of this? I told him that the point was fun!

After my moment of crazy, I went back to work doing a number of things. On the way back to the house our taxi driver got into a fight with another taxi driver because he almost cut him off...then he apparently told the other woman in our car that we should all keep our heads covered. Once he said that, she was all in a tizzy saying that women do not need to cover their heads. It was a strange day. Is there a full moon or something?

And now, my favorite part of the day....food. Dinner tonight was so so good. One of the girls decided that she wanted to celebrate her birthday tonight, so we had....chips and guac, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, chocolate chip ice cream, and fruit pies. Dinner went from 6:30 until 9:00. SoooooooooO good.

Tomorrow I seriously need to start watching my portions. Haha

Peace. Love. Lippy.

9 comments:

  1. Can we see pictures? Or do we have to be facebook people? Where did the chocolate chip ice cream come from? Who was the girl wanting to celebrate her birthday???? : )


    Peace. Love. Birthday Fun. M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha sarah you are too silly!! So, I believe your bday is almost in a hr (your time)???? AHHH!!! Well, I would like to be the first to say Happy Birthday in a hour!! =) Hope you sleep well tonight, although I never sleep the night before my birthday because I am wayyyy too excited! lol silly me. Btw, You put ice cream on my mind---I think I must have some tonight… xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. lippy


    HAPPY BIRTHDAY

    peace.love.birthday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Sarah, happy birthday to you.

    Peace. Love. Birthday Wishes. M&D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah Honey,

    Happy, happy birthday to you. We hope that you have an awesome day! May God Bless you with many, many more.
    Love, Mr. & Mrs. Kofahl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B-day Sarah!!! Was that your birthday meal last night??!! Hope you have a great day.

    peace. love. luv ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey birthday girl!! have a great one and enjoy the day -- miss you!!

    blessings,
    aj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sarah Catherine. It seems you are having a very exciting journey. Its awesome to know you are learning so much and having a wonderful time doing so. Love Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Lippy --- I mean, Cuzin! :) How do they celebrate birthdays in Ghana? I hope you find out!

    Love!

    P.S. Can you actually be in the U.S.A. for your birthday next year? It's been three years since that has happened!

    P.P.S. I've had your bday gift waiting here for this day for a while. You're going to LOVE it. :) It was one of those, it's-not-even-really-close-to-her-birthday-but-it's-so-SARAH-that-I-just-have-to-get-it-for-her kinda gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete