Monday, July 5, 2010

Are we playing animals?

Bright and early this morning I met Tanya and her husband outside the gate of the house for a day at the office. We thought we would take them the "authentic" way and walk through the back and pick up a taxi at shell. We got a taxi fairly quick, and we were on our way.

Once we got to the office I showed them around a little bit and then there was folding to do. God Bless Tanya and Paul, because they just jumped right in and helped knock that folding out! After the folding was finished I had to send out a few samples and work on one of my projects, so everyone ran to the bank and did a little shopping.

By the time everyone returned it was about time for lunch. On our way we made a stop at one of the seamstresses shops where she was working on a new sample. Let me tell you....I am so excited for this particular sample, and I really hope it gets through to full production. It is so small, but so cute!

For lunch we had sandwiches at a stand near where we pick up taxis to go home. I had an egg and cheese sandwich and it was so good! She makes them right there in front of you, so it is served steaming hot. We took a little bit of time to actually sit and eat....normally I just sit at the desk and keep working.

By the time we got back to the office we had about an hour before I had scheduled us to leave for the castle. I tried to find random jobs for everyone to do, but our main focus these days is patterning, and there is no room for that at work.

We were finally about to leave for the castle, when we were asked to take toilet paper home for the house. So we all shoved rolls into our bags and went on our way.

The castle was both beautiful and depressing. We were taken into the cells with no light and little air, and then through the door of no return. It is one thing to read about slave trading, but it is something completely different when you are walking down the same halls and seeing a tiny part of what their last days were like. However, I feel that one of the most disturbing parts was the large engraved stone placed into the wall, which commemorated the visit of Obama.....

After our visit we went down to a popular resturant called Oasis. I finally caved in and had a cheese burger. First I made sure to ask what animal the meat was coming from, and then once he said beef I still confirmed by saying COW?!? It was so good!

After dinner we had to find a taxi in a random location because it was after hours. We the interns took the first one that came along, leaving Tanya and Paul behind. We departed by saying "hope to see you at dinner tomorrow!" Yes, that may have been a bit dramatic I know.

Peace. Love. Beef.

1 comment:

  1. you need to be feeding your professor authentic food. red red, goat stew, and rocks cakes.


    i'm finally caught up on the post.

    peace.love.i think i forgot peace.love.on my last comment.

    ReplyDelete