Friday, September 17, 2010

Two for one

Friday.

My last day of work.

Fun Friday was complete and total chaos. Xavi and I set off to find some kids to hang out with, give the bags to...maybe color and play a game. Well, we went to an area where we saw about 7 kids playing in a corner. We went up to them and they were all super friendly and we asked them if they wanted to color with us. They all started jumping up and down and were so excited, so I bent down to open my bag, and the madness began.

Honestly, I should have known better. These are kids I'm talking about. The second I opened my bag, swarms of kids started surrounding me. They were grabbing everything they could! I couldn't stop the madness! I swear to you in about 15 seconds the bags were gone, and the kids ran off to showe everyone. Then there were still a ton of kids hanging around who didn't get anything. Luckily, they were just exited I had a camera. So, we took a bunch of photos, which seems to be their favorite thing to do, and then the excitement died down when a woman came to yell at me for not giving her children something. Ummmm does it look like I have anything left? Sorry, I feel bad enough already.

Xavi was smart and didn't open his bag, so we still had a few things left. We decided that it would be better to just find random kids (on their own) and give them the bags. There were two really cute little kids and they called to us, so we waved and walked over to say hi. The smallest one just started screaming his little head off. He wanted nothing to do with us.

After the cryer (like in the back of a catholic church) I just went back to the office with a few bags left. And as I was walking to the taxi I looked for kids that were alone and I gave the bags to them. This is exactly what I should have done the first time. So, note to anybody who might ever give something away to kids....get them on their own.

All of the kids were so cute and shy, and they all said thank you. So, thank you sister Joyce for making it happen.

And now...two things I learned while in Ghana.

1. I can go MANY days without showering, before I start to look or smell dirty.

2. I can "go with the flow" a lot better than I thought I could. It seems like I was one of the more relaxed people this summer. I knew sooner or later we would find our way or things would work out, so I just didn't get worked up....that is unless a taxi was trying to rip me off!

Peace. Love. Two.

4 comments: