Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm baaaaaaack,

Hello United States of America!

My phone decided to flip out the past few days, so I couldn't do my final few posts in Ghana, and I am sure you are all wondering what my count down for one was going to be, so I will tell you now.

One thing that I most fear upon returning to the United States....
1. That my jeans will not button. Think about it, I have been wearing cotton stretchy dresses for the past 4.5 months. You can't really tell whats happening in the waist area under those things.

I guess I am happy to report that my jeans do button, but it could be more comfortable....

Anyway, back to the end of Ghana. My last few days were good, very relaxing and I actually did not feel like I was leaving. On Sunday morning I said my goodbyes and I set off for Accra. It was nice spending the day in Accra. I finally got to meet Renea, who is one of the founders of Global Mamas. Normally people meet her when they first come, but she was out of the country when I arrived, and I never went back to Accra during the time I was there.

We went out to brunch with Maria and another volunteer who had just come in. Accra is such a different feeling than Cape Coast, and I would imagine pretty much any other area of Ghana. We went to a nice restaurant where we got to sit outside and enjoy the weather. After brunch we went back to the Accra house and said goodbye to Maria and the new volunteer. Still, saying goodbye I did not feel like I was leaving. It just seemed like they were going off, and I would see them later that day.

I spent the afternoon just relaxing, and then we made some burgers before it was time for me to leave for the air port. I will admit I wasn't looking forward to the Accra air port, because I had no idea what to expect. All went smooth, and I used my charm to distract the worker while my bags were being weighed. Seriously, I should not have been allowed to bring those bags with me. They weighed so much. Then there was the issue of the damn drum. I'm telling you, that is the last time I carry a drum onto a plane with me. That baby was HEAVY! Oy.

The flight was smooth, and I was able to catch up on a few new movies, and of course I did not sleep at all. I had a layover in Amsterdam, and I am starting to not like going through there. I always have to get a full body search, and this time I had a mini interrogation before the full body search. Ugh, it was so annoying at 5:00 in the morning.

The second flight was also smooth, and although I had the crappy last row seat, the person who had the seat next to me did not show up, so I had both seats for myself. It was nice to spread out a little bit while I was watching movies. Once again, zero sleep.

Things moved fairly quick at customs in Detroit, and they didn't even ask what I had in my bags. I think that if they would have searched the bags, we would not have been able to fit everything back inside.

As I walked through the doors with my cart of bags my mom came running, yes literally frolicking at me. Then we got stuck and couldn't find our way out of the room. :-)

So, now I am home, and I have showered and my mom is currently making a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. How spoiled am I?

It is not time for this blog to come to an end quite yet. I owe you readers A LOT of photos, so for this next week I will do a photo post every day......starting tomorrow.

peace. love. home.

2 comments:

  1. welcome back!

    now come visit me in denver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got back without traumas! [I hope Michael REALLY likes his drum!] We'll look forward to seeing you on Wednesday if you are awake by then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete