Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shut those goats up!

Wednesday.

Yesterday at dinner I have a very traditional dish on Banku. It is boiled, fermented corn dough with okro stew. It is not to be chewed, and is eaten with your RIGHT hand. I did not mind the texture of the dough ball, but I did not really feel like I was enjoying my food, because I was just swallowing it. I fell like I was a little kid trying to gag down something disgusting that my parents were trying to feed me. The dish is very filling, probably because you are swallowing chunks of dough, that are expanding in your stomach....I did not finish the entire glob.

We finally had power last night, so I was able to enjoy sleeping with the fan. The fan in my room is like industrial strength, and blocks out all sounds, roosters, goats, calls to worship, and the alarm clock I have right next to my head. I was the only one who made it to the gym this morning, but that was ok, because I had my choice of equipment to use.

Catching a taxi is so easy to do in the morning now that there are so many of us. It is nice because we fill the entire taxi, and then it can not make any stops along the way, so we get to work a lot faster.

Because of our day off yesterday, it feels like a Monday, and it seemed like we had so much to do at work! I spent the first part of my morning in a meeting with Maria, discussing the 2011 designs that will be used, dropped, or created. All of you quilters out there will be thrilled to know that Global Mamas will be producing fat quarters as of January 2011! Bad news for Olive Veenstra....the dog hat has been dropped. However, we have a few other tricks up our sleeves for the pups :-) I feel that I can not really talk about the new products on here, because what if someone else is reading this and takes our ideas....so rude.

So, after my meeting with Maria, I met with the design interns to fill them in on what they would be designing for this coming season. We had a few patterns to fix, and some other projects to finish, so the morning seemed to be a little crazy. Then we started out trend forecasting. For those of you who do not know what that means, it is when designers figure out colors, patterns, textures, shapes, etc. for their collection. We gather anything that inspires us, and some how throw it all into a presentation that wows the mamas! In the middle of our research, a HUGE storm blew in, and the power went out. surprise, surprise. So, we used that time to gather some inspiration from a few magazines we had.....all the while thinking about how we hoped that the bread lady found a dry place to stay during the storm, and that she would still make it to the office.

Have no fear, the bread lady made it in, with fresh, dry bread.

On our ride home today, we got the taxi driver who drove Katie when she threw up out his window. He was actually rather excited to see her, and asked if she was feeling better.

Tomorrow I am taking my first Batik class! Yay, finally I will have a post that relates to the title of this blog! Today, we the designers got a large piece of ash foam that we are going to carve out designs on tonight, so that we can have our own unique stamps for the workshop tomorrow. I'm thinking......birds. :-)




A few things I would like the clear up.
Sorry that I do not respond to your comments, but for whatever reason, I can not comment on my blackberry, so I will try to address comments in my blog post from now on. Oh, like maybe a little Q&A section at the end.

So, in response to recent comments:
Next time I post photos I WILL have house photos and Pepo :-)

All of the garments shown in the photo of the store are one of a kind! It is so cool in there.

I will be taking drumming lessons, every Tuesday, so Michael tell me what size the drum you want should be so that I can be on the look out.

I LOVE that you all include your own peace. love. comments.

And who do the List Family comments come from? I am so confused.

peace. love. banku.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying our comments, we are enjoying thie entire experience. I think Mike started the peace. love.comments. Fun! I dont think I have ever ate without chewing...gross, like when people suck down oysters, no thanks! Look forward to house pics to come.
    peace. love. industrial fans rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the list family are usually jen's post but i started it....we are not sure how jen's email got linked to the "list family" title.

    sounds like you are busy and it sounds like you are doing cool stuff. are you working on getting a ghanian cell phone?

    enjoy your drumming class. is it djembe drumming or something else? i think there is a different type that is native to ghana ...ewe or something. if its djembe maybe a 12"-14" diameter head....

    does the bread lady just sell normal loafs of bread?......and o...its a bad idea to try and make bread in the bread machine on a hot humid michigan evening....... :)

    peace.love.bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the Q&A session - that was fun. :) I just broke the news to Olive about the hat. She's pretty bummed. But I think deep down she's more than okay with it...

    Stamp idea: an Owl! After that owl necklace that you picked up on Martha's Vineyard, I think of you every time I see an owl. A little inspiration - http://www.millybee.com/images/owl3.gif

    love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving all your stories of your daily life!
    I just read a book where a lady from Pennsylvania went to Hawaii to help a friend open a quilt camp.... similar to you? and in the book she was refered to as a "snowbird"... so maybe a snowbird should one of your designs ;-) Fat quarters will be fun too! We will have to discuss this over our digestives next Wednesday.
    and another book I was reading had three cats in it and they were named;
    Peace, Lovie and Snowball

    ReplyDelete