Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Full Day #1

This morning was spent in Accra, changing money over and checking out the Global Mamas store. The store is really nice and it has tons of merchandise in it. I was happy to be able to go into the store and see the finished goods, because there is no longer a store in Cape Coast, this site is strictly production now.

The second part of my morning was spent waiting for my ride to show up. Once it got to Accra, it was packed full of bolts of fabric, and unfortunately all of my bags plus a random mattress needed to be added to the pile. The drive to Cape Coast took about three hours, and I needed to pee the entire way. Then to my surprise, once we were about 1.5 hours from Cape Coast, we stared picking up people off the street. So the van was now fully loaded with people, babies, luggage,fabric, a mattress, and, bags of water, bread, frozen yogurt. Along the way I also picked up four boyfriends.

Slowly, but surely we started to lose our extra riders, and a long and sweaty three hours later we made it to cape coast. This city is much different than Accra, and has a more relaxed feel to it. There is not as much traffic, and it sits on the beautiful ocean. (I can hear the ocean right now from my room) So, once we got to cape coast we went right to the Global Mamas office to drop off the fabric. Then two other Global Mamas workers got into the now half empty van, and we went to the volunteer house to drop off our bags.

The house is about 20 minutes from the office, and right next to the ocean. I was assigned to live in a room on the second floor and one other person will be living in the room with me. Once we dropped our bags off, we went to the local "chop bar" to eat dinner. We had ground nut soup, and something that reminded me of a grilled cheese. While eating my dinner, I watched a chicken die.....and I am guessing that will be my dinner tomorrow. GAH!

After dinner I came back to the house and took a quick convent style shower. Cold water has never felt so good!!

Tomorrow is my first day of work, and I have no idea what to expect!

Peace. Love. Cape coast

6 comments:

  1. 4 boyfriends.....

    groundnuts = peanuts? must be a british thing. that what the indians called em'

    is a convent shower just cold or does that mean something else?

    would anyone who works for global mamas be called a "global mama?" regardless of male or female...... (the global mama picked me up from accra today.... for example. )

    peace.love.chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...your adventures are just beginning. I am blessed to come along on your adventures as you write about them.

    peace. love. blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you have made it safe!

    You need to tell me how swollen your feet get, haha

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you crack me up!! I also wonder about the boyfriends, and the shower. Should I ask grandma what a convent shower is??!! So glad you made it there safe, I am enjoying reading about your adventures. Go vegetarian at dinner tomorrow.

    peace. love. bladder control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sar--

    I'm laughing hysterically right now. I can actually picture you saying everything. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. k, i'm joining the fun ---

    peace. love. random mattress.

    ReplyDelete