Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fire Safety Sunday

Last nights dinner was my new favorite meal I think. We had some kind of spinach and tomato stew with yams and plantains. Mmmmmm it was a little spicy and so so good.

The weather today is pretty gloomy. I guess I never thought of Ghana being overcast and cool. It actually feels a bit like Michigan today.

We all went to (or back to) Ellen's church this morning because when you get up at 6:30 everyday, its not too hard to make it to a 9:30 service. I wasn't really in the dancing mood when we got there, so I managed to avoid the dance circle, but later I did end up taking a few laps around the church in the offering conga line. The "sisters" that were new had to go up in front of the church like Katie and I had to last week. But then they asked if all of the Americans would please stay after for a meeting.

I started to get ants in my pants towards the end because it was gloomy outside and there was a firefighter up in front talking about fire safety all in Fante. All I got from that alk was to unplug my appliances when I leave the house, and make sure your kitchen in airy. .....I don't know.

So, finally Mr. Firefighter sat down, but we were once again reminded to stay after for the meeting. It ended up being that they just wanted to welcome us, and they told us they were so happy we came to visit and then they gave us all a pop. The issue with dinks here, is that you have to give the bottles back, so pretty much have to chug drinks around here.

When we got back to the house we were going to go back to Aunti Ginas to finish our batik from Thursday, but the weather turned bad again, so we decided to cancel. However, when we called her the phone was off, so hopefully she will get the message and not be mad at us. We were all getting pretty restless in the house went for a walk and found a great new sitting spot. It is just right across from us on these huge rocks in the ocean. I could seriously just sit there all day looking at the waves hit the rocks. There were huge crabs crawling all over, and when you lick your lips you could taste the salt. After sitting for awhile we came back to the house and hung out until dinner time.

We went to Elis and had some ground nut soup. While we were eating we decided to play a murder mystery game. I was Eve Coli, head cook at the summer resort. It was really funny because we all had to be in character throughout the meal, and all we could talk about was resort issues and killers. Everyone thought that I was a killer, but it ended up that I was not.

In other news...I have not showered in 4 days. Its not like I feel or look clean when I do, so I'm just going to hold off as long as possible.

Peace. Love. Fire safety.

1 comment:

  1. that's crazy that you could lick your lips and taste the salt! nothing like a multi-sensory experience!

    I'm curious about this ground nut soup - good? And also this murder mystery game. Was it like a game in a box that someone there had? Or did you just make it up as you went? Either way, I bet it was fun/ny. :)

    Oh, and I'm glad you are now Fire-Safe and Rescue-Reddy.

    love!

    ReplyDelete