Saturday, May 22, 2010

Life's a Beach

Day five.

I slept! I pulled my headband down over my eyes to make it really dark and I slpt through the night.

I feel that I need to talk about my new favorite food. Oatmeal, brown sugar and ground nut butter (aka peanut butter) is the greatest food on earth. Seriously it is like having a treat for breakfast! Try it 4 scoops of instant oats, one scoop of brown sugar and one scoop of Aunti Liz's ground nut butter. Mmmm mmm good!

So, thank you to whoever said the good weather prayer, because today was perfect! We hired a private taxi to take us (katie, Pepo, Maria, and meself) to the beach that is literally in the middle of nowhere. We only had to pay 1 cedi and we had the entire beach to ourselves, plus beach chairs and three hammocks strung between the coconut trees. I just re-read that sentence and yes...it really is true.

So my day pretty much looked like this. Swim in ocean, sit in chair, swim in ocean, sit in chaor, re-apply sun lotion, lay in hammock, read, stare into the ocean, read a little more, swim in ocean, have Pepo knock me over, sit in chair, go home.

Then we went to Eli's for dinner....her food is so good! We had taken a look at the menu and made a special request for mac and cheese. Now before you say something like "sarah, that's not living in the culture or something like that, let me just say that I have eaten something "cultural" every night. So, I was served the most wonderful mac and cheese with a nice glass of fresh pineapple ginger juice. Mmmmm.

Then the power went out.

So, we sat eating in the dark. In Livonia, when the power goes out we sit in the livingroom until its time for bed, here life goes on. Somehow the music is still on and everyone is just having a good time. We tried to stay at dinner as long as possible, but there was a cricket jumping all over me and Maria was being eaten alive by the bugs, so we returned to our pitch black house.

Hopefully the power will come on at some point so that I can turn the fan on in my room.

Peace. Love. Hammocks.

6 comments:

  1. I could live off oatmeal for the rest of my life haha!! Im so jel of your beach adventures!
    Is it really warm?
    I cant imagine no fan at night :/ the worst! (even ask my mother who called every drug store in manhattan-from mich- to find me a fan when I first moved here just so I could sleep at night haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach sounds great!! I had Mac and Cheese today too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the breakfast menu idea! I'll start tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. also in livonia, when the power goes out we eat all the ice cream in the freeze before it melts.


    peace. love. power outage.


    bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    You don't know me but I work with your Aunt Joanne. She told me about your adventure and that you were blogging it. I have been reading every day. You make me smile with your adventures and i enjoy reading about you. Stay safe and have fun!

    peace. love. hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your beach day sounds amazing! glad you could enjoy some down time. and that Pepo was able to join you. :)

    ReplyDelete