Sunday, May 23, 2010

Shout to the Lord!!!

I bring you this post via pool side from the beautiful Elmina Beach Resort! I just talked them into giving me a 4 month all access pass to the resort for 20 cedis. That might be the best 20 cedi I spend on this entire trip. I not have access to the internet room, the gym, showers, and the pool overlooking the ocean. Hopefully now I can upload some photos.

The power never came back on last night, so it was a sticky night to say the least. I got up around 6 and made my new favorite oatmeal mixture and went out onto the balcony to read for a while. Then Ellen, the house girl asked if Katie and I wanted to come to church with her, so we thought why not! So we walked over the river and through the...brush and found ourselves at the Methodist Church of Ghana. We sat down in the middle of all the rows, and everything was in Fante, so all that I could really understand was Jesus Christ and Amen. Then all of a sudden the organ started and they started to sing Holy Holy, so Katie and I sung along in English. The people still kept coming and the music still kept playing, and I knew I was in trouble when I saw someone walk in with a cooler! So, more singing went on and then it was time for the offering. I walked up to put some money into the bucket and suddenly I was in the middle of a dance circle. No joke! So, I'm shuffling around trying to find a way out, but every time I turn, someone is nodding their head at me and grooving to the music. So, awkwardly I danced around for a few minutes and then I was able to make it to my chair.

Then it was time for the pastor to begin, and everything was done in Fante once again, so I spent a few minutes admiring all of the clothing in the room. I absolutely loved it, every man, woman, and child was dressed in their Sunday best. Some more traditionally and some modernly, but everyone just looked so good! After the pastor finished, they did a quick five minute re-cap in English just for us. Then, they called Katie and I up in front of the entire church and had us introduce ourselves, and tell how long we would be staying, and why we were here.....Totally did not see that one coming. When we went back to our seats, I think there were a few announcements, at which time I was making faces at all of the children staring at me, and then it was time for the second offering. This time we were ready to get our groove on. So we got into what can only be described as a conga line, and took a few laps around the church. Finally, we were free o leave.

At this point, I was starving and in great need of water. But when we got back to the house Ellen said that we had to go to a funeral. We were like huh? But, not wanting to be rude we said ok, and went to a funeral. The woman who lives next door to us lost her husband last month. They are Muslim, so he was buried right away. Today was the funeral at the home, so there were people everywhere. We went up to a room, shook everyones hand and then sat. Then we were handed a bag of food and a drink, and we went back to the house. It was interesting.

Five new volunteers came today, so the house already feels different. It will be fun to have more people around. Tonight we are all going to Eli's for dinner and get to know you time.

Back to work tomorrow.

Peace. Love. Dance circle.

5 comments:

  1. Just to show I can laugh at myself, I have to admit my surprise when you were able to make your favorite breakfast when the power was out. My brain had translated "oatmeal" as COOKED oatmeal, so I had that plus the brown sugar and PB for breakfast and wondered why it was your favorite! THEN, I got home from Steve's and read today's post! Feeling really stupid, I tried again and liked the UNCOOKED result MUCH better!

    BTW, our church experience today was MUCH different from yours! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow nice haggling!

    now is the oatmeal hot or cold? i assumed it was hot as well?

    peace.love.haggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one week down! way to make it through like the champ I know you are. :) Enjoy the start of week #2.

    Peace. Love. Sunday Best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont even know what to say...partly because I cant stop laughing! I love the way you write, I can hear you saying all of this. I really hope that the entire trip continues to go this well, you are off to a great start, except the power outages!! What kind of dog is pepo?? One big enough to knock you down, so Im wondering.

    Peace. Love. New Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm still wondering about the dog, too!
    what's up with the oatmeal ---- uncooked???
    with peanut butter and brown sugar??? sounds
    like an uncooked cookie glob......

    aj

    ReplyDelete