Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Attention all shoppers, its bonus time!

Well, I just typed this entire thing and lost it. So here we go again.

Day Two, first day of work.

Today was my first day of work. We left the house at 7:30 and walked a little ways to grab a ride. The ride to work is about 20 minutes, but you drive along the ocean for most of it. All of the workers come in around 8:00, and everyone got right to work unpacking the bag of supplies I brought over. I was in the other room and heard some commotion, so I looked over and the women had found the Clinique bags. Side note...a few months ago my mom was getting some makeup and told the sales woman that I was coming here and that I was going to take some of my bags over. So, she took my moms number and ended up giving us thirty-some bags!! So, I told the women that story and I said the bags were for them. They were SO excited! Thank you Clinique,

Once the bag madness was over, George the go to direction guy at the office, gave Katie (another volunteer) and I a tour around Cape Coast. I felt much better about the town after we walked all over. However, there was one area of the market where I wish to never return...the meat section. Those of you that know me fairly well, know how I feel about meat. So as I walked past the meat balls, I wanted to vom! And when I say meat balls, I'm not talking about the Swedish ones you get while shopping at IKEA...I'm talking about cow chunks on a platter.

Once we made it back to the office Katie and I had to draft a new pattern for a shirt that was not fitting right. So we went into the extra room and patterned away the afternoon. The goal is for someone to sew it tonight and tomorrow we will do some fittings. When we went back into the main office we found that the power had gone out, so we looked through binders of past work for some ideas. When the power did not return, we went back back to the house. To catch a cab home we had to walk up a hill and then back down a hill and wait for a car to fill.

When we got back to the house a few of us went to another market, because someone needed food for their soup. So we took a short cut, and by the time we got there it was fairly empty and almost closed. There were some kids playing "Who can get closest to the Obruni pronounced oh-brew-knee" they were being really funny to us. This market also had its fill of odd meats, and "stinky fish" as they called it.

So, by the time dinner came around, I was anti-meat.

Peace. Love. Meat Balls

5 comments:

  1. Will you come back a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah...I love reading these. I can hear you saying certain things- it is hilarious. I am glad to hear all is well in Africa...wowzaaa! Miss you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so long as the meat is cooked well....it probably wouldn't hurt if it was freshly butchered opposed to sitting out all day.

    what does market look like? are we talking open air market with people sitting in piles of garlic and tarp tents with piles of vegetables under them. or are we talking like a building with isles and shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah haha I looove that you brought them make-up! Did the shades match alright? haha

    Pretty sure I'd become a veg out there as well! BUT homegirl above me makes a valid point- probably fresher then the crap laying out in our grocery stores!

    I love reading about your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait. what's an Obruni? is that what they are calling you guys? So they were trying to see who could get closest to you?! Okay...that's funny!

    Let us know how the fitting goes today!

    Peace. Love. Women screaming for Clinique bags.

    ReplyDelete